Home > Education > International Studies

International Studies

For Undergraduate Student

Semester Program

The University of Notre Dame offers opportunities to spend a semester abroad at the University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.  This semester-long abroad opportunity typically takes place in the Fall of the Junior year. Students participate in invigorating study programs while being immersed in a rich and varied culture.

Summer Programs

The College of Engineering offers programs in Alcoy, Spain, London, England, and Rome, Italy . Other options are available each summer through the Office of International Studies.

Application Procedure

The administrative procedure for applications is as follows:

  • Apply through the Office of International Studies.
  • Complete the "Study Abroad in International Programs Study Plan" form. (Download Pdf Form)
  • Meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies to discuss proposed plan and have it approved.
  • Meet with the College of Engineering's Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs to obtain final approval on plan of study.

Students seeking more information should speak with the CEEES Director of Undergraduate Studies and visit the Office of International Studies Website: http://www.nd.edu/~ois.

For Graduate Students

The University of Notre Dame has an agreement with the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC) for a dual graduate degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences.  PUC is one of the leading universities in Latin America.  It also provides access to the “natural laboratory” of Chile, where there are seismic events, tsunamis, coastal ocean circulation issues, wind wave environments in the vicinity of narrow continental shelves, meteorology affected by tall mountain ranges, groundwater flow, and acid mine leaching. 

The agreement between Notre Dame and the PUC provides opportunities for students to carry out part of their research and coursework at PUC.  Students must first be accepted at Notre Dame, then be nominated to attend PUC. They must complete the standard admission process for both universities.  Once accepted at both, they will be considered enrolled at both universities.  Students will be in residence at the partner institution from 12 to 24 months and, typically, take two or more classes in addition to engaging in research. They will be required to fulfill all the requirements of doctoral students at the partner institution—for example, holding a teaching assistantship and completing written comprehensives, oral examinations, and a dissertation defense. Once all requirements are fulfilled, they will receive a degree from both institutions.

For more information, see the dual degree agreement (in Spanish) or contact the Director of Graduate Studies.