- During their first year, all incoming, full-time, degree-seeking graduate students receive full financial support from the Department, comprised of a combination of a tuition scholarship and a competitive stipend. This financial aid also includes full coverage of the University’s health insurance premium cost.
- This award is a Graduate Assistantship and requires the student to successfully perform in his/her coursework and to participate in teaching and research.
- Continuation of funding with a similar level of stipend and full tuition scholarship is contingent upon good academic standing and satisfactory progress towards the degree.
All students who are accepted into the doctoral programs are also considered for the University fellowships below. Selection of University Fellows is competitive and based on nominations from the admitting departments.
- Arthur J. Schmitt Leadership Fellowships in Science and Engineering
- Clare Boothe Luce Fellowships for Women in Science and Engineering
External Scholarships and Fellowships
There are also numerous external fellowship and scholarship opportunities for which we encourage our graduate students to apply. The following are some of these opportunities:
- NASA LARSS Program: Paid Internship
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill offers a travel fellowship
- WTS Greater Chicago Chapter Scholarship
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship
- ASCE Society Scholarships