Associate Teaching Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences
Director, Master of Engineering (MEng)
156 Fitzpatrick Hall of Engineering
Kevin Walsh’s primary areas of research interest are sustainable and resilient infrastructure, pultruded fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) structural framing, inventory and seismic assessment of masonry and concrete buildings, large-scale experimental testing including the testing of in situ structures, unbonded post-tensioning strand/anchorage systems, modern masonry construction materials, and the professional practice of structural engineering.
He is the Principal Investigator (PI or Co-PI) in experimentally testing FRP material under elevated temperatures, the performance of UHPC link slabs in interstate highway bridges, and proprietary pultruded FRP framing members and connections, and in carrying out a seismic risk assessment of over 70 medieval Catholic churches in Italy in collaboration with multiple Italian universities. He has also been a PI/co-PI in projects involving testing historic masonry material in the American Midwest, New Zealand, and Myanmar, timber diaphragm retrofits in Italy, and proprietary mortarless masonry cladding in New Mexico.
He is a registered Professional Engineer (PE) or Structural Engineer (SE) in over a dozen states and has more than a decade of work experience in the structural engineering industry. He is a principal engineer at Frost Engineering & Consulting, Mishawaka, Indiana.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Auckland, 2016
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 2009
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Dayton, 2007
- CE 60702*: MEng Capstone II
- CE 60701*: MEng Capstone I
- CE 60282*: Lightweight Structural Materials
- CE 60281*: Structural Masonry Assessment and Design
- CE 60280*: Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- CE 60240: Behavior and Design of Building Structural Systems
- CE 40702: Senior Design Capstone
- CE 40701: Principles of Practice (Intro to Senior Design Capstone)
- CE 40621/ARCH 40621*: Sustainable Performance in Heritage Architecture
- CE 40620: Transportation Engineering
- CE 34701*: Introduction to Infrastructure and Facilities Asset Management (study abroad in New Zealand)
- CE 30720/50720*: Resiliency of Engineering Systems
- CE 30701/KSGA 30901*: Effective Technical Writing for Global Development Proposals
- CE 30267*: Structural Wood Design
- CE 30150: Modeling and Dynamics of Building Systems
- STV 30498*: Energy, Justice & Fukushima
* Indicates courses developed or co-developed by Kevin Walsh.